Nelnet Bank Privacy Center
Effective Date: August 23, 2023
Other divisions, affiliates, and subsidiaries of Nelnet Inc. list their privacy practices on their respective websites.
If you have an account with Nelnet Bank we will use and share any information that we collect from or about you in accordance with the U.S. Consumer Privacy Notice , which offers you certain choices with respect to the use and sharing of your personal information.
Information We Obtain
We obtain certain personal information in connection with the Site, including:
- Contact information, such as name, email and postal address, and phone number;
- Login credentials, such as user name and password;
- Account information and preferences, such as email preferences and paperless registration;
- Bank account information, such as account number and routing number;
- Payment card information, including card number and expiration date;
- Social Security number or other government-issued identifier;
- Demographic information, such as date of birth;
- Documents or other content you upload to the Site and/or through our chat or email interfaces, such as letter, notices, and supporting material for concerns or questions you may have relating to your account(s) with Nelnet Bank; and
- Other personal information you submit to us, such as through chat, email, or other communications, webforms or sign-up forms.
In addition, when you interact with the Site, or open or view our emails, we may obtain certain information using various automated technologies, such as cookies, web server logs, web beacons, and other technologies. A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon,” also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and cookies and may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back to a web server.
We also may use session replay and screen capture technology to collect, on a real-time basis, information on how you use and navigate our Site. This may include mouse movements, how you scroll through the Site, and certain keystroke information.
We use these automated technologies to collect information about your equipment, browsing actions, and usage patterns. The information we obtain in this manner may include your IP address, identifiers associated with your devices, web browser characteristics, device characteristics, language preferences, referring/exit pages, clickstream data and dates and times of visits to the Site. These technologies help us (i) remember your information so you will not have to re-enter it; (ii) understand how you use and interact with the Site and with our electronic communications with you such as our emails; (iii) tailor the Site around your preferences; (iv) measure the usability of the Site and the effectiveness of our communications; and (v) otherwise manage and enhance the Site and our other services, and help ensure they are working properly.
How We Use The Information We Obtain
We may use the information we obtain about you to:
- Provide our services to you;
- Establish and manage your account(s) with us;
- Process and fulfill transactions in connection with our services;
- Communicate with you (including providing you with offers and other communications about our services), respond to your inquiries, and offer customer support;
- Personalize your experience with the Site and our other services;
- Operate, evaluate develop, manage and improve the Site and our business (including operating, administering, analyzing and improving our services; developing new services; managing and evaluating the effectiveness of our communications; performing accounting, auditing, billing reconciliation and servicing activities and other internal functions);
- Perform analytics (including market research, trend analysis, financial analysis and anonymization and aggregation of personal information);
- Increase and maintain the safety and security of our Site and other services, and prevent misuse;
- Protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities; and
We also may use the information we obtain about you for other purposes disclosed at the time your information is collected.
We may use third-party analytics services on the Site, such as Google Analytics, Pendo, Fullstory. We also may use third-party session replay and screen capture services that record users’ interactions with our site. The service providers that administer these services use automated technologies such as cookies, web server logs, web beacons, and session repay and screen capture technology to help us analyze your use of the Site. The information we obtain through our Site may be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers. To learn more about Google Analytics and how to opt out, please visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
To learn how to opt out of ad network interest-based advertising in the U.S., please visit www.aboutads.info/choices, http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices, and http://preferences-mgr.truste.com. If you are a California consumer, you can opt-out of the sale or sharing of your personal information by using the Global Privacy Control. The Site otherwise is not designed to respond to “do not track” signals received from browsers.
Third-Party CAPTCHA Services
Information We Share
We may share the information we obtain about you with affiliated and non-affiliated third-party vendors to perform certain services on our behalf, such as website hosting, data analytics, payment processing and other services.
In addition, we may disclose information about you: (i) if we are required to do so by law or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena); (ii) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities; (iii) to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights; (iv) to protect, defend or enforce our policies, terms or agreements; (v) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to address security or to prevent physical or other harm or financial loss; (vi) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity; or (vii) otherwise with your consent.
We also reserve the right to transfer information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (such as in the event of a merger, acquisition, joint venture, consolidation, restructuring, divestiture, dissolution liquidation or other corporate change), including during the course of any due diligence process.
We maintain administrative, technical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
We recognize the importance of protecting children’s online privacy. The Site is intended for a general audience and is not directed to children. We do not knowingly collect personal information online from children under the age of 13.
Other Online Services And Third-Party Features
For your convenience and information, the Site may contain links or references to other services, and may include third-party features such as apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins. These online services and third-party features may operate independently from us. The privacy practices of the relevant third parties, including details on the information they may collect about you, is subject to the privacy statements of these parties, which we strongly suggest you review. To the extent any linked online services or third-party features are not owned or controlled by Nelnet Bank we are not responsible for these third parties’ information practices.
How To Contact Us
This Privacy Notice for Nelnet Bank loans details our privacy practices with our affiliates and other third parties, and will help you understand how information is shared and the choices you have regarding your information. Please note that while Nelnet Bank affiliates offer services related to education, including tuition management, payment administration and processing, financial needs assessment, online application and enrollment, and related software regarding student loans, this notice affects only your Nelnet Bank loans. If you have loans or products with other Nelnet affiliates, those affiliates will provide you with their own privacy notice. You should contact those affiliates if you wish to opt out of their sharing practices. For your Nelnet Bank loans, please complete our online Privacy Options Form to opt out of sharing certain information with our affiliates or nonaffiliated third parties.
Nelnet Bank U.S. Consumer Privacy Notice
Read our privacy notice, which describes the practices of Nelnet Bank, regarding the sharing of customer information with affiliates and nonaffiliated third-parties.
California Consumer Privacy Notice
Last Updated: August 23, 2023
This California Consumer Privacy Notice uses certain terms that have the meaning given to them in the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020) and its implementing regulations (collectively, the “CCPA”).
This California Consumer Privacy Notice does not apply to information we collect, process or disclose pursuant to the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and its implementing regulations or the California Financial Information Privacy Act. If you have an account with us, please see the applicable U.S. Consumer Privacy Notice section, which offers you certain choices with respect to the use and sharing of your personal information.
Accountholders: If you have an account with us, this California Consumer Privacy Notice does not apply to you. We use and share any information that we collect from or about you in accordance with our U.S. Consumer Privacy Notice, which offers you certain choices with respect to the use and sharing of your personal information.
Non-Accountholders: If you do not have an account with us, and if we do not otherwise have contact information on file about you, then there is no reasonable method by which we can verify your identity to the level of certainty required by the CCPA. The reason for this is that we do not link information we may collect about non-accountholders (e.g., IP addresses, device identifiers or other information collected through automated means) to named actual persons. Accordingly, if you do not have an account with us and if we do not otherwise have contact information on file about you, and you request access to, correction of, or deletion of your personal information, we will not be able to process your request at this time.
Notice of Collection and Use of Personal Information
We may collect (and may have collected during the 12-month period prior to the Last Updated date of this California Consumer Privacy Notice) the following categories of personal information about you:
- Identifiers: identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier (such as a device identifier; cookies, beacons, pixel tags, mobile ad identifiers, and similar technology; customer number, unique pseudonym, or user alias; telephone number and other forms of persistent or probabilistic identifiers), online identifier, IP address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver’s license number, passport number, and other similar identifiers
- Additional Data Subject to Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80: signature, or description, state identification card number, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or other financial information, education information, medical information and health insurance information
- Protected Classifications: characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, such as race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, gender, marital status, medical condition, disability, citizenship status, and military and veteran status
- Online Activity: Internet and other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, information regarding your interaction with websites, applications or advertisements
- Sensory Information: audio, electronic, visual, and similar information
- Employment Information: professional or employment-related information such as résumé information, occupation details, education details, certifications and professional associations, historical compensation details, previous employment details, emergency contact information, and pre-employment screening and background check information, including criminal records information
- Education Information: education information that is not publicly available personally identifiable information as defined in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Sec. 1232g; 34 C.F.R. Part 99)
- Inferences: inferences drawn from any of the information identified above to create a profile about you reflecting your preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
- Performing services, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing financing, providing analytics services, providing storage, or providing similar services;
- Providing advertising and marketing services;
- Auditing related to counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance;
- Short-term, transient use, such as nonpersonalized advertising shown as part of your current interaction with us;
- Helping to ensure security and integrity;
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of our services or devices and to improve, upgrade, or enhance them;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors;
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration;
- Managing career opportunities with us; and
- Managing our relationships with current or prospective partners, corporate customers and vendors and other business partner personnel.
We do not collect or process sensitive personal information for purposes of inferring characteristics about consumers.
To the extent we process deidentified information, we will maintain and use the information in deidentified form and will not attempt to reidentify the information unless permitted by applicable law.
Retention of Personal Information
Sources of Personal Information
During the 12-month period prior to the Last Updated date of this California Consumer Privacy Notice we may have obtained personal information about you from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you, such as when you contact us
- Your devices, such as when you use our online services
- Our affiliates
- Vendors who provide services on our behalf
- Our business partners
- Online advertising services
- Data analytics providers
- Recruiting and talent agencies
- Job references, such as your employers
- Data brokers, such as credit bureaus, credit reporting service providers and background check services
Sale or Sharing of Personal Information
We do not sell your personal information in exchange for monetary compensation. We may disclose your personal information by allowing certain third parties (such as online advertising services) to collect personal information via automated technologies on our websites and apps for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes. Under California law, these kinds of disclosures may be considered a “sale” when the personal information is exchanged for non-monetary consideration, or “sharing” when the personal information is disclosed for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes. You have the right to opt out of these types of disclosures of your information, as detailed below in the “California Consumer Privacy Rights” section).
We may sell or share for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes (and may have sold or shared during the 12-month period prior to the Last Updated date of this California Consumer Privacy Notice) the following categories of personal information about you to online advertising services:
- Commercial Information
- Online Activity
We do not have actual knowledge that we sell or share the personal information of minors under 16 years of age.
Disclosure of Personal Information
During the 12-month period prior to the Last Updated date of this California Consumer Privacy Statement, we may have disclosed the following categories of personal information about you for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
|Category of Personal Information||Categories of Third Parties|
|Additional Data Subject to Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80||
In addition to the categories of third parties identified above, during the 12-month period prior to the Last Updated date of this California Consumer Privacy Notice, we may have disclosed personal information about you to government entities and third parties in connection with actual or proposed corporate transactions, such as mergers, acquisitions or divestitures.
California Consumer Privacy Rights
You have certain choices regarding your personal information, as described below.
- Access: You have the right to request, twice in a 12-month period, that we disclose to you the categories of personal information collected about you, the categories of sources from which the personal information is collected, the business or commercial purpose for collecting, selling, or sharing personal information, the categories of third parties to whom we disclose personal information, and the specific pieces of personal information collected about you.
- Correction: You have the right to request that we correct the personal information we maintain about you, if that information is inaccurate.
- Deletion: You have the right to request that we delete certain personal information we have collected from you.
- Opt-Out of Sale or Sharing: You have the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information or the sharing of your personal information for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes.
How to Submit a Request
Access, Correction, Deletion: To submit an access, correction, or deletion request, please call 800-446-4190 or go to our Privacy Request Portaland follow the instructions provided. To submit a request as an authorized agent on behalf of someone else, please go to our Privacy Request Portal and follow the instructions provided.
Opt-out of Sale or Sharing: You can opt-out of the sale or sharing of your personal information associated with a browser or device by broadcasting the Global Privacy Control (GPC) signal. Certain browsers and browser extensions support the GPC which sends a signal to the websites you visit indicating your choice to opt out from certain types of data processing, including the sale of your personal information and the sharing of your personal information for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes. If you want to use GPC, you can download and enable it via a participating browser or browser extension. More information about downloading GPC and supported browser can be found here. When we detect a GPC signal, we will automatically process the signal in a frictionless manner so as to respect your choices indicated by the GPC setting. Please note that your choices will apply only to the browser or device you are using when broadcasting the GPC signal to us. If you would like to opt out of the sale or sharing of your personal information associated with a different browser or device, please use the GPC signal on that browser or device to broadcast an opt-out request.
For questions or concerns about our privacy policies and practices, please contact us at AskPrivacy@nelnet.net.
Verifying Requests: To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we will take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to your personal information or complying with your deletion or correction request. If you have a Nelnet Bank account with us, we may verify your identity by requiring you to sign in to your account. If you do not have a Nelnet Bank account with us and you request access to, correction of or deletion of your personal information, we may require you to verify your email address or phone number in our records and/or provide any of the following information:
- Full name and surname
- State of residence
- Physical address
- Telephone number
- Nature of your relationship with our company (Website visitor/Job Applicant/Employee/Former Employee/Contractor/Business Partner Personnel)
- Email address
In addition, if you ask us to provide you with specific pieces of personal information, we may require you to sign a declaration under penalty of perjury that you are the consumer whose personal information is the subject of the request.
Additional Information: If you choose to exercise any of your rights under the CCPA, you have the right to not receive discriminatory treatment by us. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may charge a reasonable fee to comply with your request.
Continue reading below to learn about our privacy practices that apply to users of our website and app in the U.S..
We are committed to providing a useful and enjoyable online experience. This policy explains our collection and use practices regarding consumer information, including how and what we share with our related companies and with unrelated entities. Protecting your privacy is important to Nelnet Bank and our employees. We want you to understand what information we collect and how we use it.
This policy governs the privacy policies of this website or the Nelnet Bank mobile app(s) only. Other divisions, affiliates, and subsidiaries of Nelnet Bank list their privacy practices on their respective websites.
We do not sell personal information to third parties. All personal information collected is used by us or our affiliates to perform services, inform you of our products and services, comply with laws or carry out internal functions. If you are a California Resident and you would like to inquire about what type of personal information has been collected about you please email AskPrivacy@Nelnet.net.
If you become an inactive user, we will continue to adhere to the privacy policies and practices described in this policy.
Our Security Procedures
Our Security Procedures
We implement reasonable and appropriate physical, procedural, and electronic safeguards to protect your information.
To access information and send email via the website, you will need a browser that supports the use of Secure Sockets Layer. This encryption technology helps ensure the authenticity of your online sessions and secures data transmitted over the public Internet.
Nelnet Bank takes careful steps to safeguard customer information. We restrict access to your personal and account information to employees who need to know the information to provide services or product offerings to you, and we regularly train our employees on privacy, information security, and their obligation to protect your information. We maintain reasonable and appropriate physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to guard your Nonpublic Personal Information (NPI) and Personally Identifiable Information (PII), and we regularly test those safeguards to maintain the appropriate levels of protection.
You can help safeguard your NPI and PII by taking a few simple precautions. Protect your account numbers, passwords, and customer access numbers. Never disclose confidential information to unknown callers. You should always use a secure browser and current virus detection software, and never open email from unknown sources.
The website is not directed to children under age 13. We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use PII from children under age 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us PII without their consent, he or she should contact us using the information in the How to Contact Us section. If we confirm we collected such information, we will take all reasonable measures to delete that information from our system as soon as possible.
- Links to Other Websites and Services
How to Contact Us
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about this policy, please contact us by email or regular mail at the following address:
P.O. Box 82522
Lincoln, NE 68501-2522
Nelnet Bank Borrowers
This Privacy Notice for Nelnet Bank loans details our privacy practices with our affiliates and other third parties, and will help you understand how information is shared and the choices you have regarding your information. Please note that while Nelnet Bank affiliates offer services related to education, including tuition management, payment administration and processing, financial needs assessment, online application and enrollment, and related software regarding student loans, this notice affects only your Nelnet Bank loans. If you have loans or products with other Nelnet affiliates, those affiliates will provide you with their own privacy notice. You should contact those affiliates if you wish to opt out of their sharing practices.
For your Nelnet Bank loans, please complete our online Privacy Options Form to opt out of sharing certain information with our affiliates or nonaffiliated third parties.
State Privacy Information
The California Consumer Protection Act (CCPA) provides California Residents with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes how we treat your personal information in light of the CCPA. As stated above we do not disclose nonpublic personal information about you to nonaffiliated third parties. We do not sell your personal information, and only use your personal information for the following reasons:
- Provide consumer services.
- Comply with the law.
- Carry out internal functions.
We do not sell personal information to third parties. All personal information collected is used by us or our affiliates to perform services, comply with laws or carry out internal functions. We will automatically manage accounts with California addresses as if the account holder has directed us not to share with non-affiliates unless it is for these purposes. If you are a California Resident and you would like to inquire about what type of personal information has been collected about you please email AskPrivacy@nelnet.net.
We will not disclose nonpublic personal financial information about you other than as permitted by law unless you authorize us to make that disclosure. Your authorization must be in writing or, if you agree, in electronic form. If you wish to authorize us to disclose your nonpublic personal financial information to nonaffiliated third parties, you may notify us at the address found under the “How to Contact Us” section.
Nelnet Bank Privacy Notice
Read our privacy notice, which describes the practices of Nelnet Bank, regarding the sharing of customer information with affiliates and nonaffiliated third-parties.